Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Two Pillow Hypothesis

From What the eyes cannot see

Around two or three nights in month I would get this nasty problem of dozing off into dreamland. Some days are so-so and there are some days that I absolutely cannot afford to be staring at the ceiling the entire night. The tendency of night crawlers like me is that we really have to keep counting the number of hours slept for every 24.

Compulsively, we have this habit of always looking at the clock right before we sleep, and again on the minute that we wake up. This works fine until you realize that those nights where your eyes will stay as wide as an owl’s, not that I am denying that my eyes are already as big since the day I was born, you would find yourself staring at the time and literally see it moving minute by minute, hour after hour! And trust me, this looks all nice in the movies where you see that old grandfather clock move its minute and hour hands really fast but in real life it’s this paaiiiiiinfully slow, mind-joggling, sanity-breaking tortuous experience!

My second sleeping problem has always been that my creative mind is most active when I am in that limbo/slumber state. I can think of the most profound of things, open a can of memories and watch it like a movie, get brilliant ideas out of thin air – all absolutely at the wrong freaking time!

The next logical thing to do to get back the control of my sleeping patterns was to try various techniques that I heard from my friends, read in magazines/newspapers, saw on tv/internet and some classic home remedies. I’ve tried slapping myself, drinking bottles of hot milk, ate to the brim, did some yoga postures and even tried counting sheep but none seemed to work. (Oh, except for drinking myself to sleep of course).

Until came the Two-Pillow hypothesis, the Eureka moment was to trick my own body by not telling it to go to sleep! Hell, that didn’t work for years why not try it in reverse, right? Instead of drinking hot milk, I drank a glass of cold water. Instead of having one pillow for sleeping, I had two to recline by back by 30°! And it worked wonders for me! In a span of around 10 minutes or so, I am able to slowly get some z’s into my system. The part where my head gets all hyperactive? Well, I kept it that way too, since mandatorily shutting down my brain cells won’t make things any better. But to my surprise, this truly worked for me even until today.

No comments:

Post a Comment